Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sometimes I'm Unproductive.

I figured, I'll work on some sort of cool graphic of a dessert food for one of Jennie's lino blocks. I've done a cupcake pattern already, and it's nice, but it's not single color. So, I set out to revise it.

1. Changed my basic cupcake icon to one color. Not too difficult.
2. Maybe I should do something other than a cupcake? I start thinking of other options.
3. Cake, pie, candies of various kinds. Yeah, yeah. I need some inspiration. To the internet!
4. I visit Flickr and search for "dessert." Meh.
5. I try Flickr commons instead. Lots of good photos to peruse, but none of close ups.
6. I know, we'll look at old magazines from Google Books. I type "pie" in the advanced search, using the date range 1940-1950.
7. The ads are great. Whoa! There's one for Dove soap with a little lady in a bathtub. She would be awesome all blown out with a chunky half tone.
8. Screengrab, put in Photoshop, blow it up to 12 inches wide, 300dpi, with a color halftone to get rid of the pixelization.
9. What the heck am I going to do with this?
10. I'll write "Take my soap... Please!" Heh.
11. Meh.
12. Browse, browse, browse. Ooh! That's a nice Chevrolet ad. That car would be really cool to Live Trace in Illustrator. I'll have to crop it from that gray cityscape in the background.
13. Screengrab, paste into Photoshop, start masking the car. Color range selection doesn't work well. Try the old magnetic lasso.
14. Ack, these settings are lame.
15. Change the lasso settings, mask the car.
16. What the heck am I going to do with this? I've got so many other important things to do and I don't have a clear idea of why I'd need this dumb car, anyway.
17. This string of decisions would be a funny blog post.
18. Oh! I'll photoshop the car into the bathtub scene, instead of the soap.

I'll let you know how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment